Dry and windy weather creates dangerous fire conditions

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MERRIAM, Kan. - Firefighters were called to a home near 47th and Knox Street on Sunday afternoon after thick smoke was spotted coming out of a garage next to a home. The fire is believed to have started across the street as an electrical fire.

Firefighters said part of a tree broke and struck an electrical pole.  The strong winds carried the flames across the street and into a garage.

"We just pulled in and it was just black smoke and flames all in the back," said Janice Jenkins, the home owner.

Jenkins said she and her husband were at church when the fire happened. Their family dog of 12 years, Clutch, was killed in the fire. Clutch was tied up in the backyard behind the garage they said.

"He was 12 years old; I hated so bad that we couldn't get him out," Jenkins told FOX 4.

Fire officials said the dry ground and the strong winds are a perfect combination for a fire disaster, so they are asking people to be diligent.

"It's very, very dry out, we haven't had any rain for over a month now," said Captain Paul Bishoff with The Overland Park Fire Department.

Firefighters also responded to a house fire in the Northland. Crews told FOX 4 the heavy winds propelled the flames and increased the damage. Nobody was home at the time of the fire.

A burn ban remains in place.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.