House fire leaves family of three homeless

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- A fire at a home near 34th and Bales left three people without a home on Sunday.

An early morning fire broke out on the second floor of the home. Crews at the scene initially thought the building was vacant because the utilities were not on.

They later learned that a family had been living there all winter. The parents were gone, but an adult daughter was able to escape the fire.

"They had been living off a generator, using candles," Jimmy Walker with KCMO Fire Department said. "She had no smoke detectors in the house. She woke up to the smell of smoke on the second floor and got herself out.

"It was very cold. It was so cold, there's plastic up over most of the windows. We took pieces of carpet, stapled them up there," renter Tammy Chase said.

Firefighters said they are helping the family.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.