Faulty washing machine issues flood customer with problems

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- "$250 is not going to break me," those were the words of La La Jones, the owner of a used furniture and appliance store on Prospect Avenue in Kansas City. "That's chump change to me."

But apparently not chump enough to give back to Francesca Wynn who bought a washer and dryer from Ms. Jones' store that she's never been able to use.

"I have had nothing but trouble," said Francesca who works for full-time, goes to school and is the mother of three young children with another on the way.

She paid $275 for the stacking washer and dryer almost two months ago. But as soon as she tried to run the washer, water poured out the bottom and flooded her kitchen. Francesca said she called Jones the next morning and was promised a repairman would be sent to her home.

"Okay, I'll send someone out to check it all out for you," Francesca recalled Jones telling her. "No one ever shows up. Then day two she said the same thing. No one ever shows up."

Same story the next day as Francesca's laundry kept piling up.

Because Jones had stopped responding to her calls and texts, Francesca drove back to the store the following Monday. She said Jones promised her a refund if she returned the stacking unit.

But when Francesca's father showed up the next day with the unit, the store was locked. The next day Jones was there and accepted the washer and dryer back, but told him she wouldn't be able to provide a refund for another couple of days because she was short on cash.

A few days later, Francesca said she went to the store to get her money and Jones started "cussing me out." A friend Francesca had brought with her was so concerned she called police. At that point Jones became even more upset, Francesca said.

"She's getting loud with the cops telling them to mind their business."

Police weren't able to help. They told Francesca it was a civil matter and that she needed to take Jones to court to get her money back. That's when Francesca called FOX 4 Problem Solvers.

We paid a visit to the store, which we couldn't find a business license for with either the city or the state. The door was locked, but after a few minutes of waiting, Jones came walking up to us from the parking lot.

She denied ever promising Francesca a refund, just a replacement. But she said she changed her mind after Francesca's friend called police. Now she no longer wants to help her.

We asked Jones why she never sent a repairman to Francesca's home? She denied that happened, although Francesca has text messages documenting the exchange.

Jones said she's been in business two months and has numerous happy customers.

"I'm cheap and I'm reasonable, " Francesca said.

That's not the experience Francesca Wynn had. She just wants what she paid for.