KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Summer is here and that means lots of grilling. Crazy Good Eats visited FOX 4 to share how to brine your chicken before putting it into the smoker so the meat retains moisture and flavor. The recipe was a hit with the FOX 4 crew. Crazy Good Eats will also be hosting a one-year anniversary benefit on Saturday, June 11 from 11 a.m., to 9 p.m., to benefit Braden's Hope for childhood cancer.
• 2.5 Qts water
• 1/2 cup kosher salt
• 3/4 cups fresh lemon juice and peels of the lemons (about 4 lemons)
• 2 tablespoons Frank’s Red Hot or other hot sauce
• 1/3 cup chopped garlic
• 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
• 1 large onion cut in quarters
• 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
• 1/2 cup Crazy Good Eats Poultry Rub, plus 2+ tablespoons for seasoning the birds later when putting it into the smoker or on the grill. OPTION: Add your choice of fresh herbs: i.e. rosemary, thyme, bay leaf, etc, and some smoked paprika, ancho chili powder, etc.
• 2 Chickens (approximately 4lbs each) Split into halves