Man says he’s lucky to be alive after drive-by shooting in KCMO

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Two people are injured -- including a 12-year-old girl -- following a drive-by shooting in a Kansas City neighborhood near 38th and Park that happened Thursday night.

Tony Willis said he was sitting on his couch watching TV when he heard what sounded like firecrackers.

“It was like, pow, pow, pow,” Willis described. “I got on the ground, got on the floor, because it kept going on, and on, and on.”

He said his brother and his sister`s boyfriend were sitting outside, and his brother`s wife's grandkids were inside the house.

“One of the grandkids got hit in the butt,” added Willis.

A 12-year-old girl was shot, and his sister's boyfriend was shot in the leg.

“My brother was laying down here on the ground, dodging from the bullets,” Willis added. “When I came outside and saw my brother lying on the ground here, I thought he was dead.”

Witnesses told police a black Lincoln Navigator SUV circled the block, pulled up in front of the house, and fired multiple assault rifle rounds, then took off northbound on Park.

The two victims were taken to the hospital, and are expected to recover.

“I was sitting on the couch... if I hadn`t moved, I would have gotten hit in the back,” Willis said. “There`s a hole in the cushion where I was sitting.”

Bullet holes now cover Willis' home.

“There are bullet holes in the TV, so I can barely watch TV now, just a house full of holes right now…They found like 16 shells,” said Willis.

Willis said no one who was injured lives there, they were visiting.

“I don`t know what could have caused this, I mean there`s just young gangbangers around here doing some stuff,” Willis said. “I think that`s messed up... you don`t just go around shooting at people`s houses... I mean, what kind of stuff is that.”

“Hopefully, we`ll be able to make it in here through the night, because we`re all kind of on edge,” he added.

Willis says he`s just thankful everyone is okay, and they hope they don't have any more unwanted visitors.

The investigation is still ongoing.