Stay Weather Aware: Wednesday morning commute looks tricky

Stilwell home goes up in flames after lightning strike

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

STILWELL, Kan. -- A Stilwell man's home was struck by lightning as he and his wife ate dinner inside. Soon, their home was engulfed in flames.

The family said it sounded like a missile. The next thing they knew, heat was coming in from their ceiling. Within minutes, they lost everything.

"It was like a missile or rocket," homeowner Galen Jones said.

Jones was in his 3-story home with his wife and two other friends when their walls started to shake.

"We assumed the lightning struck, the thunder went off, and that was the end of that," Jones said.

But it wasn't. A half hour later, the family started noticing smoke.

"We ran upstairs and I could feel heat radiating down through the hall ceiling," Jones recalled

Their attic and top floors were fully engulfed in flames. The family was able to get out. Jones only had time to grab his computer and the clothes on his back.

"It's the irreplaceable things you'll never recover. We didn't have them in a fire proof safe, or something. You just, you think of that but never think it'll happen to you," Jones said. "Unfortunately, sometimes lightning strikes."

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.