Wife of KCK standoff suspect “surprised” by her arrest

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANSAS CITY, Kan. -- "All that we've been through this week and over the years all feels like a nightmare. It's a battle that's impossible to win, " says Renee Andrews.

Andrews says the "battle" this week started on Tuesday when investigators say Andrews' defiant husband, Greg Andrews, a convicted child, sex offender, self-proclaimed minister and gospel artist, ignited an intense standoff with police officers and SWAT team members from the Kansas City, Kan., Police Department and U.S. Federal Marshals.

Police say Federal Marshals went to the Andrews' home near 57th and Parallel to serve Greg with three arrest warrants, including two for failing to register as a sex offender.

In 2012, Andrews served two and a half years in prison for inappropriately touching a 15-year-old girl at a used furniture store he owned at the time.

"My conviction's going to be overturned eventually. I was not guilty of anything. I didn't do anything wrong," Greg Andrews continued to insist on Friday.

However, while he stayed home, Andrews' wife, who had hoped to get their 13-year-old daughter and 14-year-old son out of protective custody, got a big surprise of her own.

"Yes, I was surprised. I walked into that courtroom free and clear just wanting to get my kids, but then they put me handcuffs and kept asking me about an outstanding warrant. I didn't know anything about a warrant," Renee exclaimed.

Records show the mother of four failed to address a warrant the city issued to her on July 14. The Andrews, who have more than a dozen religious and political-based signs of all sizes in their front yard, were cited for violating three city ordinances.

"I just don't know what they're talking about. I never saw any warrant," says Renee, who also told FOX 4's Robert Townsend after she was in handcuffs and escorted out of a Wyandotte County courtroom Friday one of the bailiffs who was around her "pushed her."

"I've been under so much stress with all of this. I have a knot on one of my shoulders, and a female bailiff kept pressing down on my shoulder and it hurt, "Renee Andrews said.

A spokesperson for the Wyandotte County Sheriffs Office says they called paramedics to the courthouse to check out Andrews, but we're told she refused treatment.

Friday afternoon Renee Andrews bonded out of jail. She and her husband vow they will get their children back.

"This isn't over. We have served the community, been here for the community in a variety of ways for years. We are not giving up. We will get our kids back, we will continue to expose corruption in the KCK Police Department and in Wyandotte County Prosecutor's office," says a frustrated Renee.

"I'm not worried. They will not intimidate us any longer. My God got this, "says Greg Andrews as he holds on to his bible.