Metro kids find dangerous items in Halloween candy

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- For most kids last night's trick or treating was fun, and a good way to load up on sweets.

But not everyone came away all smiles, as it was more trick than treat for some metro kids.

“They asked me to have candy about halfway through, and I said 'no, wait until we get home. Let's spread all the candy out, just to check.' That's what we did growing up,” said David Ayers.

Ayers was heading home with his 11-year-old twins, Carley and Carson, after trick-or-treating in Brittany Woodscastle, a KCMO neighborhood near Zona Rosa.

"We got back in the car, and that's when they both yelled at me, 'hey look. There's a razor blade,' and I said 'no there's not. Let me see it,' and they pulled out the big box blade-looking thing, and I was just in shock,” Ayers added.

He said it was sitting right on top of the candy, with the box blade out about an inch or so.

“The knife part was sticking out and Carson could have grabbed it easily and cut his finger,” Ayers said. “You think of all the bad things, and then you think 'really? Would somebody put that in? So I don't know if it was intentional or if it was an accident, somebody was using it to open the candy, and it just got mixed in with the candy. I mean, I was just in shock. I couldn't believe that really happened to us.”

Ayers came home to show his wife.

“I said, 'you'll never guess what was in Carson's candy,'” Ayers recalled.

She couldn't believe it either and took it to a nearby police station to report it and leave the box cutter with police.

In another nearby neighborhood, Clayton Meadows between 68th street and Waukomis off 169-Highway, other kids got "screwed." Someone handed out a note and a four-inch screw.

“I don't understand why you would do something like this, I mean these are kids that are trick-or-treating, and you want them to have fun, not get hurt,” Ayers said.

He said they don't know which house it came from or when they got it, but wanted to warn others.

“Check your candy. There's a reason why people say that I guess,” Ayers said.

Ayers said his neighborhood was full of parents and their kids last night.

He said it's another example of why parents need to pay close attention to what's in the kid's candy bags.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.