Animal control wants to know why dog was returned to owner after viciously attacking three people

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Animal control officers are asking questions after an animal they call dangerous was returned to its owner after viciously attacking three people. Officers are still looking for the dog, who they say needs to be euthanized.

Victoria Eve said she still has nightmares after she was attacked by a dog last Sunday while she and her boyfriend were enjoying an evening walk.

Just around the corner from 19-year-old Victoria's home, from out of the blue, the neighbor's dog attacked.

"My pinky was actually a little detached," Victoria said, adding that it was just hanging by a "bit of skin."

First the dog attacked her, then jumped on her boyfriend.

"The next thing I know, my hand was in the dog's jaw, and my boyfriend started hitting the dog, trying to get the dog off," Victoria recalled.

She tried to break free, but was no match for the brown Cane Corso. The young mother of a newborn feared for her life.

"I was terrified. I was crying. I didn't know what to do. I didn't know what was going to happen," she said.

She said another neighbor heard her frantic screams and ran to help her and her boyfriend, repeatedly hitting the dog with a stick.

Within moments, a man pulled up to the scene, put the dog in the car, and then drove off.

Animal control officers said they repeatedly went to the home of the dog's owner and tried to seize the dog, but they said the owner refused to surrender the animal.

On Sunday, the officers said they finally got the dog, took it to KC Pet Project, and ordered it to be euthanized.

"We sent an email on the 14th saying we thought this dog should be euthanized. We had major concerns about it being out among the general public," said John Baccala, Animal Control spokesman.

Tori Fugate with KC Pet Project said by law, they quarantine the dog for ten days. However, Fugate said they never received any paperwork from animal control saying the dog should be put down. Fugate said they are looking into the breakdown in communication.

Animal control returned to the animal's home Wednesday but did not find the dog. A grateful Victoria was counting her blessings.

Animal control officers told FOX 4 that the dog has bitten a third person, the dog owner's father, who is now in the hospital.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.