End of standoff marks conclusion of tense day in Old Northeast neighborhood where robbery suspect was shot

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- A standoff that lasted for hours ended on Wednesday night, capping an intense day for police. The incident began when a robbery suspect pulled a gun - as officers tried to arrest him. He was shot and later died.

That shooting happened at 8th and Van Brunt shortly before 3 p.m. The several hours-long standoff began not far away at 9th and Cleveland. Police started staking out a home earlier when they learned a robbery suspect was inside.

They say he had made threats to shoot police. When they pulled him over down the street, they say he tried to act on those threats.

“KC police officers got info as early as this morning that this individual stated they were armed and were willing and ready to get into a shootout with officers if there were an attempt to arrest them,” Sergeant Kari Thompson said.

When they stopped the suspect near 8th and Van Brunt, police say he was cooperative at first, but as they tried to get him out of the car he reached for a gun.

A member of the drug task force who wasn`t wearing a police uniform said he had no option but to shoot first. The man would die later at the hospital.

While dozens of police officers and prosecutors investigated that scene, members of the SWAT team ordered everyone out of the house at 9th and Cleveland where the operation began. We`re told six people were arrested, but a man and woman believed to be inside didn`t come out, prompting an hours long standoff.

“This neighborhood is multicultural, it has elderly all the way down to toddler ages, and it`s awful this type of stuff is going on in this neighborhood,” Sgt. Thompson said.

Police have yet to say exactly how many robberies the man who was killed was suspected of, or why the other people inside the home were arrested.

Neither the name of the suspect killed, nor the officer who shot him have been released. That officer will be placed on administrative leave as part of standard procedure in an officer involved shooting.