Stay weather aware Thursday

Standoff at KCK hotel ends with suspect, who fired shots at officers, in custody

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANSAS CITY, Kan. -- A standoff with police in Kansas City, Kan., Friday morning ended after nearly nine hours with the suspect in custody.

The standoff began with a disturbance call to police. Officers say the caller wanted police to remove the man inside a third floor room at the Hilton Garden Inn at 5th and Minnesota.

When police knocked on the door around 12:30 a.m. the person inside fired shots through the door at police.

No police officers were hurt.

Police believed there may have been at least two people inside the hotel room, but later discovered once the standoff was over that the man was the only one inside of the room.

The area around the hotel was blocked off during the standoff and several rooms inside the hotel were evacuated. FOX 4's Kathy Quinn, who was at the scene, says around 3:15 a.m. the man inside kicked out the window and even looked out a couple of times.

Around 6 a.m. police fired tear gas into the man's hotel room, which was seen while FOX 4's Kathy Quinn was live on air. Watch the video below to see it happen.

According to police, after the man eventually agreed to come out he opened the hotel door and attempted to escape through a nearby stairwell where police were waiting.

"He said he was going to come out after we communicated with him through the bull horn," officer Patrick McCallop said. "At that time he came out, but then he tried to exit out of the stairwell where one of our officers was at and we took him into custody then."

Jasper Leroy Cunningham, 36

Jasper Leroy Cunningham, 36

Police did say the suspect was struck and would be taken to a hospital for treatment, but he did not have life-threatening injuries. On Friday, the Wyandotte District Attorney filed charges against the suspect, identified as Jasper Leroy Cunningham, 36. Cunningham is charged with  two counts of Aggravated Assault on a Law Enforcement Officer.

Guests staying at the hotel were taken to a safe place during the incident but have since been allowed back into their rooms to get their belongings. There were about 100 people staying at the hotel at the time of the incident.

BPU's KCK location was closed during the standoff. Their administration office was expected to reopen for business at noon. BPU’s lobby will be closed all day as KCK police will have Minnesota Avenue blocked off for most of the day as they continue their crime scene investigation.

The Westbound I-70 ramp at Minnesota was also closed during the standoff.