Hearing the news, woman goes to fatal KC car crash scene that killed friend since childhood

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- A man and a woman are dead after a car crashed early Wednesday morning.

It happened just after 4:30 a.m. near 33rd and Prospect.

Investigators say the Chevrolet Impala was traveling south on Prospect at a high rate of speed when the driver lost control and crashed into a tree.

Police identified Gillian Marshall as a victim in a crash early Wednesday that killed two people at 33rd & Prospect.

Friends identified the female victim as Gillian Marshall, who was sitting in the back seat.

A man in his 20s sitting in the front also died. He has not yet been identified. Neither was wearing a seat belt.

"Put your seat belts on please. Please," said friend Corazon Webb, who went to the scene to pay her respects.

The driver, who is a male, was taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries. Officers say he was not being very cooperative. A detective and a DUI officer at the hospital are working to see if alcohol or drugs were a factor.

The Accident Investigative Unit had Prospect taped off from 33rd to 34th Street as they took measurements and try to figure out how fast the driver was going.

Investigators say speed was a factor in the crash.

Corazon Webb says her called her friend Gillian a 'pet name' 'Judy Booty.' She says they were like sisters.

"It was like my heart was crushed,"  Webb said. "She would at least call me once a week, once every two weeks. Just to say hey Cory or ask me question or want me to pray for her, you know. To hear this news is just unbelievable."

Corazon said Gillian worked in health care, had four children, and was a grandmother who loved to cook.

They were friends since they were eight-years-old.

"She has a great spirit, beautiful person. Beautiful person."

Two people were killed and a third was injured in a single-vehicle crash Wednesday, June 28.