Chiefs come up big in fourth quarter, hang on to beat Eagles 27-20

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — The Kansas City Chiefs moved to 2-0 after beating the Philadelphia Eagles 27-20 on Sunday afternoon. The Chiefs were in command of the game after Kareem Hunt scored to put them up 27-13 with just over two minutes to play in the fourth quarter, but the game ended coming down to the last play.

The Eagles scored with less than 10 seconds to play, and recovered the ensuring onside kick to set up a Hail Mary, which could have sent the game into overtime. The Chiefs defenders batted the desperation attempt out of the end zone, and Kansas City hung on to win a fiercely competitive game.

2:50 p.m.

Atoning for an earlier unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, Travis Kelce scored on a shovel pass to give the Chiefs a 20-13 lead in the fourth quarter. The drive was set up deep in Philadelphia territory after defensive lineman Chris Jones caught a deflected pass at about the 30 yard line.

1:25 p.m.

The Eagles and Chiefs played perhaps the sloppiest final two minutes of a half you’ll ever see.

The Eagles’ Darren Sproles began the cacophony of errors when he fumbled a punt deep in their own territory. Kansas City was forced to settle for a field goal with 17 seconds left, though, when Alex Smith was sacked and the drive went nowhere.

After the kickoff, Philadelphia’s Carson Wentz threw a pass that the Chiefs’ Terrance Mitchell should have picked off, but instead it ricocheted to tight end Zach Ertz for a 53-yard gain. That should have set up a chip-shot field goal, but Jake Elliott missed it as time expired.

So, the Chiefs lead Philadelphia 6-3 at halftime.

12:55 p.m.

The Eagles’ ailing secondary lost two more players when starting safety Rodney McLeod and backup cornerback Jaylen Watkins left with hamstring injuries in the first half of their game in Kansas City.

Philadelphia was already playing without starting cornerback Ronald Darby, who dislocated his ankle in last week’s win in Washington. Patrick Robinson and rookie Rasul Douglas were next on the depth chart but it was Watkins who began taking on a bigger role against Kansas City.

He pulled up grabbing his hamstring while covering a punt into the end zone.

12:25 p.m.:

One of the newest Eagles got Philadelphia on the board at Kansas City.

The Chiefs and Eagles swapped field goals in the first quarter of their matchup.

The Chiefs aired it out to tight end Travis Kelce on their opening drive, looking much like they did in dissecting New England in their opener more than a week ago. The Eagles responded by marching 58 yards to get Jake Elliott’s first career field goal.

Elliott was signed on Tuesday to replace the injured Caleb Sturgis.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.