iPhone catches fire inside school bus in Independence; riders quickly evacuated

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

INDEPENDENCE, Mo. — School children were quickly evacuated from a school bus Wednesday morning after a cell phone caught fire inside the bus.

The fire brought the bus to a halt at Pacific & Hunter in Independence.

The dispatcher says the bus was quickly evacuated and no other cars were involved.   The dispatcher says they weren’t aware of any injuries and described the cell phone as an iPhone.

The student dropped the phone when it started to smoke and reported the phone problem to the bus driver, who immediately started to evacuate. Another student tried to stomp on the burning phone, then picked it up to throw it off the bus and received minor burns.