Suspect in early morning KCK homicide shot, arrested by police after high-speed chase in Northland

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

CLAY COUNTY, Mo. -- A suspect who led police on a high-speed chase in Clay County, Mo., Thursday around noon is now in police custody.

The chase began in Grayson, Mo., when a Clinton County deputy saw a Chevy Astro van driving at excessive speeds. When the driver -- later identified as Jeremy Comstock of Bonner Springs, Kan. -- failed to stop, the deputy initiated a pursuit.

Southbound I-35 in the Northland is shut down Thursday as police investigate what led up to a chase.

The Clinton County Sheriff's Office said once Comstock, driving at more than 90 mph, entered Clay County, U.S. Marshals, Smithville police, Missouri State Highway Patrol, Clay County Sheriff's Office and KCMO police also joined the chase.

The pursuit continued along southbound Interstate 35 where Comstock allegedly drove at dangerous speeds, ran other cars off the road, went the wrong direction on the highway and drove toward police, KCPD Capt. Stacey Graves said.

"The guy was driving crazy," said D.J. Adamson, who witnesses the chase. "He even ignited a fire out there from the sparks from his car."

Adamson's camera was recording when Comstock passed him, intentionally pushing other cars off the four-lane highway.

See the video footage in the player above.

Comstock eventually lost control of the van and spun out, facing officers. Graves said shots were fired, and Comstock sustained a non-life-threatening gunshot wound.

When Comstock exited the vehicle, around 12:17 p.m., he was immediately taken into custody and to a local hospital for treatment. A female passenger was also taken into custody at the scene.

"This was a dangerous situation," Graves said. "I'm glad we came to this end, and the worst we have is someone with a non-life-threatening injury."

Southbound I-35 in the Northland is shut down Thursday as police investigate what led up to a chase.

Southbound I-35 was closed Thursday in the area for several hours. All lanes reopened around 4:30 p.m.

Graves said Comstock is a suspect in the murder of a man in Kansas City, Kan., early Thursday near 10th and Montana. That's where police found a man in a pickup truck suffering from gunshot wounds around 4:50 a.m. He was transported to a nearby hospital but died from his injuries.

The victim is described as a man in his 50s.

Comstock also had an active Kansas Department of Corrections parole warrant.

Download the fox4kc app and be sure to sign up under “alerts” for “push notifications” so you don’t miss any breaking news that happens around town FOX 4 Android app | FOX 4 iPhone app

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.