TOPEKA, Kan. — Three new Johnson County measles cases and several new exposure locations, including the University of Kansas hospital, have been reported, Kansas health officials say.
On March 8, the Kansas Department of Health and Environment and the Johnson County Health Department were notified of a case of measles at a Johnson County day care. State health officials said he new cases bring the total to 13 in Kansas — 11 in Johnson County and one case each in Miami and Linn counties.
On Wednesday, officials released three new exposure locations.
If you visited these places at these times, be aware that you may have been exposed to measles:
- Walgreens; 7500 Wornall Road, Kansas City, MO; March 22 from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM
- Chick-fil-A; 12087 S. Blackbob Road, Olathe, KS; March 24 from 8:15 PM til close
- Chuck E. Cheese’s; 15225 W. 134th Place, Olathe, KS; March 21, 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM
Additionally, the University of Kansas Hospital said Wednesday it is contacting employees and patients who might have possibly been exposed to measles. The hospital said it treated an out-of-state patient who had the virus. The KU Hospital case is not connected to the outbreak in Johnson County.
Anyone who visited the following hospital areas during the corresponding times might have been exposed to the virus:
- March 23 from 10 AM to 10 PM in the emergency department
- From 9 PM March 23 to 4 PM March 26 in first-floor Unit 15 (cystic fibrosis and medical telemetry)
- From 9 PM March 23 to 4 PM March 26 in the hospital’s commons areas, such as the cafeteria, main lobby, atrium, coffee shop and gift shop
In a statement released earlier this month, KDHE urged “people who are ill or exhibiting measles-like symptoms to stay at home unless they are seeking medical care. Before visiting a healthcare provider, call ahead so that the provider can take measures to protect other patients and staff.”
Below are the previously reported exposure locations:
- AMC Dine-In Studio 28; 12075 S. Strang Line Road, Olathe, KS; March 9 from 3:30 PM to 7:30 PM
- Aldi’s; 15290 W. 119th St., Olathe, KS 66062; on March 2 from 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM
- Payless Discount Foods; 2101 E. Santa Fe St., Olathe, KS; on March 6 from 10:00 AM to 12:30 PM
- El Potro Mexican Café; 602 N. Pearl St., Paola, KS on March 7 from 4:00 PM to 8:00 PM
- Children’s Mercy Hospital Kansas Emergency Department; 5808 W. 110th St., Overland Park, KS on March 8 and March 10 in the morning
- Budget Coin Laundry; 798 E. Main St., Gardner, KS; on March 9 from 8:00 PM – 11:00 PM
- Olathe YMCA swimming pool and locker room; 21400 W. 153rd St., Olathe, KS; on March 10 from 9:30 AM to 1:00 PM
- Bath and Body Works at Legends Outlets; 1803 Village W. Parkway, Kansas City, KS; on March 10 from 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM
- Crazy 8 at Legends Outlets; 1843 Village W. Parkway, Kansas City, KS; on March 10 after 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM
- Orange Leaf; 11524 W. 135th St., Overland Park, KS; on March 10 from 3:00 PM to 6:00 PM