KC police chief confirms man who shot 3 officers was man wanted in murder of UMKC student

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Kansas City Police Chief Rick Smith issued an update Monday on the three officers who were shot on Sunday at two different crime scenes. He also identified the man who was under surveillance and opened fire on the officers.

You can replay the entire news conference in the video player above.

Chief Smith said they received approximately 40 tips--eight of them leading specifically to the suspect--after releasing surveillance video of the man they believe walked into J's Chicken and Fish Market at 54th and Prospect on July 6, 2018, and shot 25-year-old Sharath Koppu dead in an attempted robbery. See that surveillance video that police released below.

Chief Smith said investigators have been searching for that man since the shooting, and Sunday was the first time they encountered him.

KCPD Chief Rick Smith issuing update on 3 officers who were shot Sunday, July 15, 2018.

"As the events transpired, Marlin Mack engaged in a shoot out with our officers and I believe it was the fourth shoot out in the span of a couple of hours, in which Marlin Mack was then shot and killed," Chief Smith said.

25-year-old Marlin Mack

Around noon, undercover detectives went to Sky-Vu Motel on 40 Highway, next to I-435, to try and make an arrest. That's when the suspect they were trailing shot two officers in their patrol car with a rifle.

The suspect then drove off in a car with another person inside - that person was later taken into custody.

The suspect drove west, then ditched the car. Police caught up with him in a home near 30th and Topping, just north of I-70, and about four miles from the motel. Over the course of about an hour police exchanged gunfire with him at least three times. That's when the third officer was hit.

Around 1:15 p.m., more than an hour after the first shooting, the suspect left the house, exchanged gunfire again, and died in that exchange.

Detectives then spent hours processing each scene. Bullet holes could be seen in the window of one of the motel rooms. The police cruiser that was parked out front had at least seven bullet holes.

It was a tense afternoon at the scene where the suspect died, with a nearly seven-hour standoff coming to an end after officers successfully entered a house where they found the suspect.

Officers using some kind of flash-bang device around 6 p.m. to blast their way into the house at 30th and Topping. One neighbor told FOX4 that she's seen the suspect in the neighborhood before, but believes the house where everything happened was vacant.

Police roped off about a three-block area and waited to get a warrant to search the entire property. They were able to get in and clear the scene just before 7 p.m., and found no one inside the house.

Mack served two different prison sentences in Oklahoma, and was once referred to as "Tulsa's Most Dangerous Robber". In 2011 he was convicted for robbery and assault with a deadly weapon, in 2015 he was convicted for burglary, receiving stolen property and felon in possession of a firearm. He was released from prison in February of 2017.

A window that was shot out Sunday, July 15, 2018.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.