Woman convicted of murder, arson in deaths of 2 KC firefighters gets 74 years in prison

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- A judge sentenced Thu Hong Nguyen to serve 74 years in prison for killing two Kansas City firefighters in 2015 when she intentionally set a building on Independence Avenue on fire.

Larry Leggio and John Mesh died responding to the fire on October 12, 2015.

Nguyen's attorney stated they'll appeal the conviction next week following an emotional day in court where Nguyen broke down after hearing testimony from her son.

In July, a Jackson County judge found Nguyen guilty of six of the seven counts she faced, including arson and murder.

Prosecutors said she intentionally poured acetone and isopropyl alcohol in the stock room of her KCMO nail salon, lit it on fire and then left the building to burn. The judge found her guilty of two counts of second-degree murder, two counts of first-degree arson and two counts of first-degree assault.

Leggio and Mesh were killed when a portion of the building collapsed. Two other firefighters were seriously injured in the fire.

Fire scene Monday night in Kansas City's Old Northeast Neighborhood

Jackson County Prosecutor Baker met with both the Leggio and Mesh families following the verdict.

"Our community acknowledges, again, the incredible service of our firefighters, who every day take great risk to keep us safe. Unfortunately, the loss of these two firefighters and the injuries suffered by two other firefighters that night reminds of us of how dangerous their job is. We cannot forget their massive contributions to our community," Baker said.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.