KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Chef Jasper Mirabile celebrated National Pasta Month by showing us his favorite way to make Pasta Carbonara just the way they do it in Rome.
JASPER’S PASTA CARBONARA
- 12 oz. bucatini or thick spaghetti
- 5 oz. guanciale, cubed (or pancetta … or bacon)
- 1 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 4 egg yolks
- Cracked black pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- NO CREAM
- Put a large pot of water on to boil, when the water boils add salt to water to cook pasta.
- Cook spaghetti in salted water ( usually spaghetti is 10-14 minutes, depending on size).
- While the pasta is cooking, saute the pancetta cubes in a little olive oil until crispy.
- Mix the whole eggs or 4 yolks with the grated pecorino cheese, whisk well.
- Add a generous amount of fresh ground pepper.
- Before draining the pasta, take a ladle of the water and add to the cheese mixture, stirring well to mix.
- Add the drained pancetta cubes.
- Drain the pasta and add immediately to the bowl with the cheese mixture and stir to mix well.
- The heat from the pasta should cook the eggs.
- Serve with more grated cheese.