Light Green Bean Casserole
(makes 8 servings)
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1/2 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon dry Ranch dressing mix
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 (8-oz.) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 cup French fried onions, crushed
- 1/2 cup Panko crumbs
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cook green beans in boiling salted water to cover in a large saucepan 4 to 6 minutes or to desired degree of doneness; drain.
- Plunge into ice water to stop the cooking process; drain and pat dry.
- Melt 2 Tbsp. butter in saucepan over medium heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in 1 1/2 cups milk; cook, whisking constantly, 3 to 4 minutes or until sauce is thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from heat, and whisk in buttermilk and next 4 ingredients.
- Melt 1 tsp. butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat; add mushrooms, and sauté 6 to 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes.
- Gently toss mushrooms and green beans in buttermilk sauce.
- Place in a 13- x 9-inch or 3-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Combine French fried onions and next 2 ingredients; sprinkle over green bean mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
- Serve immediately.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories: 168, Fat: 5 g ,Saturated fat: 1.9 g, Protein: 5.7g, Carbohydrate: 18.5g, Fiber: 3.9g, Sodium: 296mg
(Source: Southern Living)