Executive Chef of Gordon Biersch, Mike Maher, cooked up a recipe to give us a sneak preview to the many food booths that will line KC Beer Fest this Saturday.
Sauerkraut Croquettes (makes 10)
2 oz. bacon, 1/2 inch dice
2 oz. yellow onion, 1/2 inch dice
4 oz. sauerkraut, drained
1 lb. roasted garlic mashed potatoes
2 oz. Swiss cheese, sliced, 1/2 inch squares
1/2 cup egg wash
1 cup seasoned flour
1 cups panko bread crumbs
- In large hot sauté pan, add bacon and render until brown and crisp, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add diced onions and sauté until translucent.
- Add drained sauerkraut and heat until 165-degrees, mixing occasionally to blend ingredients.
- In a large mixing bowl combine mashed potatoes, cheese and eggs with sauerkraut mixture.
- Using a scoop, scoop mixture onto parchment lined sheet pan and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Place seasoned flour, egg wash and bread crumbs in separate shallow containers.
- Place each scoop of sauerkraut mixture in seasoned flour coating all surfaces. Shake off excess.
- Place in egg wash, coating all surfaces. Shaking off excess.
- Place in panko bread crumbs, coating all surfaces.
- Fill large sauté pan with an inch of oil and fry croquettes, turning on each side until golden brown.