One in six Americans will get a food-borne illness this year. The following leftover food safety tips will keep your Thanksgiving happy after the day is done.
- Buy a food thermometer if you don’t already have one.
- Wash hands, utensils and food prep areas between items.
- Last minute safe thawing tips:
- Cook turkey breast to 165 degrees F & thigh to 175 degrees F.
- Rinse fresh fruit and vegetables right before using unless labeled “ready-to-eat” or “pre-washed”. Research has proven “pre-washed” produce does not need to be rewashed, and washing may actually introduce bacteria.
- Leftovers chill faster in shallow containers – aim for 2-inch deep or less.
- Bring gravy to a boil when reheating.
- Heat all other leftovers to 165 degrees F.
- Eat or freeze leftovers within 3-4 days.
- Eat or freeze gravy within 2 days.
For more information go to: holidayfoodsafety.org