This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Take advantage of fresh, local tomatoes while they are in season. Enjoy this cool, fresh salad as a meal or a light side at a backyard barbecue.
- 2 ½ – 3 lbs mixed varieties Heirloom Tomatoes, diced in bite-sized chunks (gold, big orange, chocolate, Cherokee purple, and red barn are among the varieties we have used)
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves, slivered
- ¼ cup finely minced shallots
- Juice of ½ Fresh Lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp fresh ground pepper
- Mix the dressing ingredients in a bowl, whisk to combine.
- Pour dressing over tomato chunks and sprinkle slivers of fresh basil over top.
- Toss gently to combine.
- Serve over a bed of fresh greens, garnish with feta cheese crumbles