Dr. Michelle Robin D.C. encourages people to check for hidden sugars in processed foods. Look for key words like, high fructose corn syrup, fructose and cane sugar. If it’s one of the first 3 ingredients, don’t eat it! Dr. Robin says the main reasons sugar is bad for you are:
- Sugar increases your body’s acidity level, suppresses your immune system and creates an environment for a variety of diseases to thrive.
- Sugar can cause premature aging.
- Sugar can increase the body’s fluid retention– bloating.
Other sugar tips:
- Avoid chemical, artificial sweeteners and foods with added sugar
- Use gentle sweeteners like maple syrup, brown rice syrup, dried fruit, stevia, barley, malt and agave nectar.
- Eliminate fat-free or low-fat foods.
- Experiment with spices for flavor