This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Kale and Bacon Stuffed Peppers
Makes 4 servings
- 2 bell peppers, seeded, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 1/2 tomato, seeded, chopped
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 cup kale
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons 1% milk
- 1/2 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup salsa
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Arrange pepper halves in 13x9-inch baking dish.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat; add onion and cook 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, bacon and kale, and cook 2-3 minutes.
- Spoon vegetables into pepper halves.
- Whisk eggs and milk in small bowl until well blended.
- Pour evenly over vegetable mixture in pepper halves.
- Bake 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, top peppers with cheese and return to oven.
- Bake 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Top each pepper with 2 Tbsp. salsa.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 435; Fat 8.25 g; Protein 15 g; Carbohydrates 4g; Sodium 541 mg