Mozzarella Pepper Salsa
Yield: 3 cups. Serves: 12 (1/4 cup serving)
All you need:
- 1 block (8 ounces) Mozzarella cheese, diced into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 cup diced roasted red peppers
- 2 green onions, cut diagonally into thin slices
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 head Belgian endive, separated into leaves
All you do:
- Combine Mozzarella cheese, red peppers, green onion, fresh basil and olive oil in medium bowl; mix well.
- Season with pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- Serve on endive leaves with whole grain crackers.Nutrition facts per serving: 61 calories, 4 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 10 mg cholesterol, 150 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrates, 5 g protein. 15% Daily Value calcium. Source: Midwest Dairy Association
FIVE HOLIDAY TIPS FOR A HEALTHIER, HAPPIER YOU!
Don’t let holiday temptations keep you from meeting your health and wellness goals. Stay on track by following these simple, holiday tips recommended by our Hy-Vee dietitians:
Eat Fruits & Veggies First
• You will eat more of the foods you choose and eat first.
• Choose low-calorie foods first, such as fruit slices, raw or steamed vegetables and green leafy salads, to save calories.
Less Is More
• Eat smaller portions by using a salad plate or smaller bowl. Serve bite-size treats or appetizers.
• Save your extra calories for a special holiday treat you only eat once per year, such as grandma’s homemade fudge.
Pass the Protein, Please!
• Include lean-protein foods in snacks and meals to help balance carbohydrate-rich foods, avoid blood sugar spikes and help you feel full longer.
• Opt for lean meat, poultry, seafood, low-fat cheese and nuts.
• Burn off calories from your meal by taking a brisk walk with friends and family or dancing at the holiday party.
Get Your ZZZs
• Seven to eight hours of sleep per night may aid in eating fewer calories and choosing healthier foods during the day.