KANSAS CITY, Mo. — It’s hard to beat a plate of nachos as a hearty snack (or maybe a whole meal), but those who are counting their calories may normally have to pass them up. No more.
Introducing zucchini nachos!
This healthy appetizer is quick, easy and under 200 calories. Here’s what you need:
- 1/4 cup fat-free refried beans
- 1/2 tsp. taco seasoning
- 8 oz. (about 1 medium) zucchini, sliced into 1/4-inch coins
- Dash salt
- 2 tbsp. shredded reduced-fat Mexican-blend cheese
- 2 tbsp. salsa
- 2 tbsp. light sour cream
- 2 tbsp. chopped scallions
- Optional topping: jalapeño slices
Watch the video in this post to see how FOX4’s Karli Ritter does it, or read the step-by-step instructions on the Hungry Girl website (yes, that’s basically Karli’s nickname).
Sign up to receive a weekly email from FOX4 with the recipes we featured on our FOX4 newscasts. Click here to add your name to the list. Also, check out this other great zucchini dish:
Latest news stories:
- Who will Biden pick? Democratic lawmakers weigh in on possible VP picks
- Kansas sees spike in identity theft cases as fake unemployment claims come in
- Former addict leading nonprofit to get others off the streets, into treatment in east KC
- Kansas poised to elect its first openly transgender lawmaker to state legislature
- ‘A great moment in society’: Local business owner makes history at the Plaza