Adapted from “The Gardener and the Grill” by Karen Adler and Judith Fertig.
These open-faced, boat-shaped sandwiches-with a grilled bell pepper as “bread” are a fresh, low-carb take on the concept.
For more recipes and tips, visit www.thebbqqueens.com
Herbed Cream Cheese:
- 8 ounces cream or vegan cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives
- 2 large yellow, orange, or red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded and quartered
- Olive oil, for brushing and drizzling
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley, chives, or lemon balm
1. Prepare a medium-hot fire in your grill.
2. Place a well oiled perforated grill rack over direct heat.
3. Brush the skin side of each pepper with olive oil. Dollop a spoonful of Herbed Cream Cheese in each pepper boat. Transfer the boats to the perforated grill grate, cover, and grill until the bottoms are scorched and the cheese has melted, 4 to 5 minutes. Serve sprinkled with herbs and a drizzle of olive oil. Serve hot with a knife and fork.