Schoolgirl Shot by Taliban Released from UK Hospital


Malala Yousufzai was discharged from the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham as an inpatient January 3 to continue her rehabilitation at her family’s temporary home in the West Midlands. She is still due to be re-admitted in late January or early February to undergo cranial reconstructive surgery as part of her long-term recovery and in the meantime she will visit the hospital regularly to attend clinical appointments.

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

By Laura Smith-Spark

LONDON (CNN) — Nearly three months after she was rushed to Britain for life-saving treatment for gunshot injuries, Pakistani schoolgirl Malala Yousafzai has recovered enough strength to be discharged, the hospital said Friday.

Malala, who was admitted to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham on October 15, left the medical facility Thursday to continue her convalescence at her family’s temporary home in England’s West Midlands region.

The 15-year-old became an international symbol of courage after she was shot by Taliban gunmen last fall for her crusade about girls going to school.

She had blogged fearlessly about girls’ education and accused the Taliban of thriving on ignorance. The Taliban forbid girls in the classroom and have threatened to kill anyone who defies them.

The attack prompted outrage and wide outpourings of support, both in Pakistan and overseas.

Malala will continue to receive outpatient care at the hospital, its statement said, and is expected to undergo cranial reconstructive surgery in the next month.

“Malala is a strong young woman and has worked hard with the people caring for her to make excellent progress in her recovery, said Dr Dave Rosser, medical director of the University Hospitals Birmingham.

“Following discussions with Malala and her medical team, we decided that she would benefit from being at home with her parents and two brothers.”

Rosser said Malala had been leaving the hospital for home visits on a regular basis over the past couple of weeks to see if she could cope there.

Her father Ziauddin, mother Toorpekai and younger brothers, Khushal and Atul, traveled to England in the fall to be with her as she recovers.

Pakistani officials confirmed Thursday that her father has been given a job in a Pakistani consulate in Birmingham.

Ziauddin Yousafzai has been appointed education attache and will function as head of the consulate’s education section for three years, the Pakistani government said. His job could be extended for two additional years.

At the time of his daughter’s shooting, he ran a school in Pakistan’s conservative Swat Valley that kept its doors open to girls — in defiance of the Taliban.

Malala was in a school van in the area on October 9 when Taliban gunmen stopped the vehicle and demanded that other girls tell them who was Malala. They identified her.

Malala was then shot, as were two other girls who survived the attack with lesser injuries.

Malala suffered gunshot wounds to the head and neck, leaving her in a critical condition. Her father described her survival as a miracle.

Since her shooting, Malala has become an international figure. She was selected as runner-up for Time magazine’s Person of the Year for 2012. CNN and Time are owned by Time Warner Inc.



More News