• 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
• 1 avocado, cubed
• 2 cups (about 10 ounces) fresh California strawberries, stemmed and quartered
• 8 cups mixed salad greens, such as butter lettuce and watercress
• 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
• 1 small cucumber, sliced (about 24 slices)
• Optional: 3/4 pound peeled and deveined raw shrimp
• 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
• 2 tablespoons water
• 1 tablespoon chopped shallots
• 1/2 tablespoon salt
• 1/4 tablespoon black pepper
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
To make salad: In small bowl, toss onion with 1 tablespoon of the vinaigrette; set aside. Over gas or charcoal grill or in grill pan on stove top, grill shrimp 5 minutes, turning once, or until pink and cooked through. In another small bowl, toss strawberries with 1 tablespoon of the vinaigrette. In large bowl, toss greens and onion with enough of the remaining vinaigrette to coat lightly. Divide among 4 chilled salad plates and arrange strawberries and shrimp on top of greens. Sprinkle with cheese and garnish with slices of cucumber and avocado, equally divided.
To make vinaigrette: In small bowl, whisk together ingredients for vinaigrette.
Tips: For a variation, substitute shredded smoked chicken for the shrimp. Pre-cooked, shelled shrimp may be substituted for grilled shrimp.
Makes 4 servings.