Woman dies in Olathe apartment fire caused by damaged electrical cord

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

UPDATE: Olathe fire officials said that the fire claimed the life of Alexandria Armstrong, 33. She died at the hospital Thursday evening after being pulled from the fire at 420 N. Marion Street.

Investigators believe a damaged electrical cord ignited a couch and the fire spread throughout the apartment.

The damage is estimated at $35,000.

The Olathe Fire Department says people should make sure cords are in good condition and nothing is frayed or cracked.

OLATHE, Kan. — One woman was seriously injured in a 2-alarm house fire Thursday night in Olathe.

The fire was reported shortly after 7:15 p.m. Thursday in the 400 block of N. Monroe Street.

Crews on scene told FOX4 a woman called 911 saying she was trapped in her bedroom by the flames. Firefighters had to break a window to get inside. They were able to pull the woman from the burning home.

She was taken to the hospital in critical condition. One firefighter was also taken to a local hospital with a minor injury.

The house appears to have recently been converted into apartment units, according to the fire department.

Four people lived in the other side of the duplex, including a man in wheelchair. They say smoke started to fill their home as well, but they were able to escape.

They’re being assisted by the Red Cross as they are out of their home as well, but said their thoughts are really with their neighbor, hoping she`ll be OK.




More News