26-year-old KCK resident killed in cement truck crash on I-435

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OVERLAND PARK, Kan. — On Tuesday afternoon police identified the driver of the cement truck that rolled over on Interstate 435 as 26-year-old Joshua Martin of Kansas City, Kansas. Martin died at the scene according to police.

The passenger, a trainee, was hospitalized at Overland Park Regional after the late morning accident involving a Quicksilver truck on eastbound I-435 near Antioch. He was treated and released.

A witness to the accident told FOX 4 he stopped and tried to help the driver, but says there was nothing he could do.

“The gentleman was just driving along in a cement truck, and he was in front of me, a couple hundred yards or so, and all of a sudden just went off to the right, and then back to the left,” said Anthony Gillilan, a truck driver.

Gillilan said he witnessed the cement truck in front of him swaying, eventually the weight of it caused it to tip.

“Went back to the right again, and it started it`s balance, and rolled over right in front of me,” Gillilan said.

Gillian stopped, and saw the passenger get out, who appeared to be shaken. Martin never got out.

“I went over to the truck and there was diesel fuel and oil leaking and the gentleman was inside, unresponsive, had his seat belt on,” Gillilan said. “I asked him several questions and try to shake him a little bit, but there was no response.”

Overland Park police say they got a call about the rollover around 11:15 a.m.

“When they arrived, they located a concrete truck that had overturned, and the driver of the concrete truck was deceased on scene,” said Officer Richard Breshears with the Overland Park Police Department, “The passenger that was riding in the concrete truck as well was transported to a local hospital with non-life threatening injuries.”

Officer Breshears says it’s unknown what caused the accident, and they are still investigating.

“I feel terrible, there was nothing I could do, he was unresponsive,” Gillilan said.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories


More News

Digital First

More digital first