PLATTE CITY, Mo. — Four students from Platte County High School were taken to the hospital Thursday after overdosing on over the counter medication.
Platte City Police responded to the high school just after 11 a.m. in regards to multiple parties with poisoning/overdose symptoms.
During the investigation, officials learned that four students had purposely taken the over-the-counter medication for recreational effects.
“First there was a hold in where we had to lock all the doors and stay in the classroom and when I was outside another one happened and we had to stay outside for a while,” student Jake Diano said.
The high school was put into a “Hold-in-Place” status during the incident, meaning students are moved away from the incident location or instructed to stay in classrooms with doors secured. People are also kept out of hallways or public areas so school officials can assess the situation or medical professionals can assist.
“Something you think is innocent thankfully it wasn’t deadly today but it could be very easily,” parent Oscar Diano said.
The students became ill and were all taken to the hospital by ambulance with non-life threatening symptoms.
“We would hope the parents are talking to their children about using drugs. We hope this will spur some conversations, maybe between the kids, but certainly between the parents and their kids because we don’t ever want to get these calls,” Platte City Police Chief Joe Wellington said.
The incident is being sent to the Platte County Juvenile Office.
📲 Download the FOX4 News app to stay updated on the go.
📧 Sign up for FOX4 email alerts to have breaking news sent to your inbox.
💻 Find today’s top stories on fox4kc.com for Kansas City and all of Kansas and Missouri.