9ine Ultra Lounge customers dropped everything to run for their lives when shooting started

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Survivors returned Monday to the scene of a nightclub shooting, which ended Sunday with two people dead and 15 others injured.

Police said when they arrived at the 9ine Ultra Lounge, located near 40 Highway and Noland Road, at about 11:15 p.m., people were running away in a panic.

KCPD held a news conference on Monday afternoon, identifying the suspected shooter as 29-year-old Jahron Swift and a woman killed as 25-year-old Raeven Parks. You can watch a replay of the news conference in the video below:



Swift was shot and killed by an armed security guard just outside the club. They have not determined a motive at this time.

Police said three of the 15 other victims are in critical condition. Officials said they haven’t finished interviewed all of the victims yet and don’t know if they were all injured by gunfire.

Police said multiple firearms were recovered at the club, but it appears that Swift and the security guard were the only ones who fired shots.

Some patrons returned Monday looking for personal belongings they dropped or left behind because they were scared for their lives.

Duane Bly drove to the crime scene to look for his son’s keys. He said he was frantic after learning about the shooting because he knew his son was inside the club, celebrating the Chiefs’ clinching a spot at the Super Bowl.

“Man, I was scared to death,” Bly said. “You know, we were calling his phone. Wasn’t getting no answer but finally he called back and said he was OK. So I had a sigh of relief. But I didn’t have the real relief until he walked through the door. I thank God. We can replace keys to a car, but we can’t replace his life.”

Some people who were inside the club but didn’t want to appear on camera described a scene of pandemonium after the shooting started.

One woman returned Monday to find her eyeglasses lying in the grass. She told FOX4 the shooter was angry that a woman had cut in front of the line to get into the club. She said more shooting happened outside as partygoers tried to get away.

The woman said she was so scared she ran into a barbed wire fence.

Police have said the shooter fired into a line of people waiting to get inside.

Some regular patrons said security at the club does an extensive pat down on all customers to make sure no firearms get inside the building. Others believe the suspect might have wanted to shoot his way inside.

Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to call KCPD’s Homicide Unit at 816-234-5043 or the TIPS Hotline at 816-474-8477.

FOX4 will have continuing coverage about this shooting in newscasts at 5, 6, 9 and 10 p.m. and on fox4kc.com.

Copyright 2022 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories


More News

Digital First

More digital first