Father, Grandmother Charged in Hospital Kidnapping of Boy, 5

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

ST. LOUIS -- The father and grandmother of a five-year-old St. Louis boy have been charged with kidnapping, interference with custody, and endangering the welfare of a child after they allegedly took the boy from a St. Louis hospital on Tuesday. He was later found safe in a Chicago suburb, authorities said.

An Amber Alert was issued for Porter Stone after the child was discharged from St. Louis Children's Hospital on Tuesday afternoon. The boy was last seen leaving the hospital with his father, 33-year-old Jeffrey Stone.

Tiffany Stone, Porter’s mother, said that police told her around 2:45 a.m. Wednesday that Porter had been found. Investigators say Porter was discovered at a hotel by Illinois State Police just south of Chicago in Alsip, Illinois with his father, his grandmother, Rhonda Matthews, and an aunt.

All three adults are in custody. Police said Jeffery Stone first took his son to the hospital pharmacy then called Tiffany Stone -- who was also at the hospital at the time -- to tell her that he was taking the child.

Police told the Post-Dispatch that Jeffrey Stone had agreed to be cooperative with his ex-wife, but once she let her guard down, "he took advantage of the situation."

St. Louis Police say that Tiffany Stone has sole legal custody of the boy.

The mother of Tiffany Stone told FOX 4 that her daughter is waiting word from authorities before heading to Chicago to reunite with her son.

According to KTVI, authorities say Porter had just been put on the waiting list for a heart transplant Tuesday and was being discharged with medication when he was taken by his father.

Authorities say that Porter Stone was released from the hospital so that he could be monitored by doctors closer to his home in St. Joseph. He had been receiving treatments in St. Louis for cardiomyopathy, a thickening of the heart muscle, and required constant medication.

Police in St. Louis say that a warrant has been issued to return the suspects to St. Louis, but that they are waiting to see if the suspects are going to fight extradition from Illinois.

Click here for more on this developing story from KTVI in St. Louis.



More News