UPDATE: The suspect has been identified as 43-year-old Reginald Byers Jr. of Kansas City.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — A man who was allegedly pointing a hand gun at people is dead after being shot by a Kansas City police officer Wednesday afternoon.

Just after 4:30 p.m., Kansas City officers were made aware of a man pointing a handgun at people and acting erratically in the area of E. 27th Street and Brighton Avenue.

Two officers at the scene attempted to deescalate the situation and get the suspect to drop the hand gun, but he refused.

One officer fired his weapon at the suspect. Life saving measures were attempted by the officers, according to the highway patrol, however, the suspect was pronounced dead at the scene. He has not been identified at this time.

No officers were injured during the incident.

Rachel Riley with East 23rd Street PAC Neighborhood Association said the area has its problems and the city doesn’t do much to help. She lost a son 20 years ago and feels for the man’s family.

“For this community there’s a lot of oppression, a lot of hopelessness/homelessness, a lot of mental illness in this community,” she said. “So, this is the disadvantaged neighborhood that everything you can think of happening is happening here. “It’s hurtful. You do everything you can, you try to be the voice of the community, because you want better for your community, but it takes dollars.”

Kansas City Police Chief Stacey Graves has requested the Missouri State Highway Patrol take over the investigation.

“Anytime you encounter someone with a gun of any type, the threat is there and reaction is a lot slower than action,” MSHP Sgt. Bill Lowe said.

📲 Download the FOX4 News app to stay updated on the go.
📧 Sign up for FOX4 email alerts to have breaking news sent to your inbox.
💻 Find today’s top stories on fox4kc.com for Kansas City and all of Kansas and Missouri.

The highway patrol said there is body cam footage and in car video but it has not been looked at, at this time.

The investigation into the incident is ongoing.