Charges filed in Overland Park homicide where victim’s body was found severely decomposed

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OVERLAND PARK, Kan. — First-degree murder charges have been filed against Edward William Scott Jr., 22, in connection with the death of Chidozie “Joe” Ojiaka, whose body was found in severe decomposition at his Overland Park home. Police say he had been stabbed to death.

Scott, a Kansas City, Kan., resident, is being held on a $1,000,000 bond. He’s expected to appear in Johnson County court on Thursday for formal charging at which time FOX 4 will fully identify the suspect.

Ojiaka’s body was found in his home near 75th and Lowell Ave., on Sunday, June 8. Investigators said he had likely been dead for weeks, if not months, and were tipped off to the crime scene after neighbors called police saying they saw hundreds of flies on the inside of a window.

FOX 4 previously spoke with Ojiaka’s brother, Sam, who said it wasn’t uncommon to go a month without hearing from him, but he said he hadn’t heard from Joe since November or December of 2013. When he was told on Wednesday that a suspect was in custody, he said he and his family were relieved and would have more to say at a later time.

Sam said his brother was a hard-working, but private man who ran a car lot and leased several properties. Joe’s death hit Sam very hard.

“It’s very disturbing, have to take it one day at a time,” he said. “We hope that whoever did that will be caught and prosecuted to the maximum if possible.”

Investigators had previously struggled to put a timeline of events together because the body was so severely decomposed. Neighbors said his lawn hadn’t been cut in a long time and “shut-off” notices had been posted on his door from utility companies.

Joe’s tow truck was also found after it had been sold at auction because it had been towed from the area of 35th and Prospect and gone unclaimed. The processes to shut-off utilities and auction off cars typically take months at a time, leading investigators to believe Joe had been dead for an extended amount of time.

Watch Previous Coverage:



More News