AT&T cited by OSHA after worker’s death

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The Occupational Safety and Health Administration cited AT&T in connection to the death of worker Kevin Mashburn on Sept. 19.

Mashburn, 58, was discovered severely assaulted inside a truck parked in a Gladstone, Mo., yard.

OSHA said AT&T committed a "serious" violation, saying "The employer [AT&T] failed to ensure employees needing emergency assistance have a continuous communication to readily summon assistance as needed."

The statement goes on to say, "This violation most recently occurred on or about Sept. 19 when an employee was injured while conducting fieldwork and was not able to make positive contact with anyone to communicate his need for emergency assistance," OSHA said.

"Approximately 19 minutes elapsed between time of injury and the moment someone became aware the employee was attempting to summon emergency assistance -- and 50 minutes before emergency assistance was able to located the injured employee," OSHA said.

Mashburn later died at the hospital.

OSHA has proposed a penalty of $7,000 for the violation. AT&T has the right to contest the fine.

AT&T released a statement Friday:

“Kevin Mashburn was a dedicated employee for more than 40 years and our hearts continue to go out to his family, friends and co-workers.

OSHA’s allegations are at odds with the facts and it’s unfortunate that OSHA ignored the fact that Mr. Mashburn had multiple devices by which he could communicate his situation and, contrary to the citation, he in fact did so.

We’re committed to the safety of our employees and provide our technicians with extensive safety training and capabilities, including cell phones and laptops, to contact police, the Company or other first responders in an emergency.”

The suspect in Kevin Mashburn's death, Bryan Middlemas, is still in a Clay County jail on murder and robbery charges. He's expected back in court on March 15.

Tracking Coronavirus

More Tracking Coronavirus



More News