Authorities ID suspect killed by U.S. Marshals in I-35 shoot-out

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Authorities have identified the suspect shot and killed by U.S. Marshals following a chase that started in the Northland and ended on I-35 in Kansas City, Kansas..

According to the FBI, Patrick Stephen Pippin, 30, was shot by marshals after his vehicle crashed into a concrete median divider on I-35 near 18th Street late Thursday morning. Pippin was taken to an area hospital where he was later pronounced dead.

The chase began when members of the U.S. Marshals service, Kansas City police, and FBI agents went to execute a search warrant Thursday morning in Gladstone. Before executing the warrants, the officials saw two men matching the description of the suspects leave a home.

The U.S. Marshals tried to pull over the men, which began the chase which continued through downtown Kansas City—where one suspect bailed out near the River Market—and finally ended on I-35 near 18th Street after Pippin’s vehicle lost a wheel.

In a cell phone video, one motorists captured the moment when a law enforcement vehicle performed a PIT manuever on Pippin’s vehicle, causing Pippin to lose control and slam into a concrete median divider. Pippin then tumbled out of the vehicle, apparently clutching a firearm, and began to run. He was almost immediately shot by marshals.

The incident caused the interstate to be closed until Thursday afternoon.

The second suspect, who was not identified, was taken into custody downtown a short time after abandoning Pippin’s vehicle. In a statement on Friday, the FBI says that charges are unlikely against this individual, saying that he “exited the vehicle on his own accord and was not an active participant in the drivers attempt to elude police.”

Because no charges will be filed, authorities say that the identity of the man will not be released.



More News