Baby finally goes home after 345 days in North Dakota NICU

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

FARGO, N.D. — A North Dakota boy finally goes home after spending nearly his first year of life in the hospital.

Friday Trevor Frolek went home after 345 days in the hospital.

When Becky Frolek felt something was wrong at 23-weeks of pregnancy, she feared the worst, and it happened. She delivered Trevor, who at the time was a one pound six ounce baby boy.

“Especially from the night we did not think he would make it, to now, is just, so, pretty special,” said Bo Frolek, Trevor’s Dad

“It was hour by hour, minute by minute, hour by hour,” said Becky Frolek.

There were several touch and go hours.

“The doctor told us it was going to be a rollercoaster ride. We were going to have our good days and we’re going to have our bad days,” said Bo.

He was so fragile. So small. Bo was able to get his wedding ring around Trevor’s foot.

There were surgeries for his heart, for his eyes. Friday was day 345, and it was the last day. He was at home in Lidgerwood as of Friday night.

“After all the obstacles he overcame, just to get to this point,” said Bo.

“There were a lot of days when we left here and were not sure we would see him again, and to see him do well, this is the best reward we could ask for,” said Erin Kuehl, a NICU nurse.

The family left the hospital for the first time in a year. And someone like Trevor must be quite the rock star since nurses came in on their day off to throw a farewell party for him.

“Bitter sweet I think, to me it is a miracle, amazing, that he came this far,” said Becky.

Those who were there the night he was born said goodbye to him as he went home.

“We are so happy for the family. Our place will feel a whole lot different without him here,” said Vicki Holtan, a NICU nurse.

Trevor proved everyone wrong, doing what the medical textbooks did not predict.

“Understatement to see miracle, a lot of prayer and faith intense from the nurses. It is a nonstop screaming ride,” said Dr. Scott Mutchler of Essentia Health Neonatology.

After a year surrounded by doctors and nurses, now like family, it is time to fly solo.

“I am nervous, excited. I am sure there will be tears. I hope I have what it takes,” said Trevor’s mom, Becky.

Now sister Brookelyn can’t wait to blow bubbles in Trevor’s face at home. He just might miss the peacefulness of the NICU.

Trevor will have more company in a couple of months. His parents are now expecting another baby.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trademark and Copyright 2021 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.

Trending Stories


More News

Digital First

More digital first