This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Black Quinoa Cucumber and Tomato Salad
- 1/2 cup dry black quinoa
- 1 1/2 cup water (reduce water to a 1 to 2 ratio for larger batches of quinoa)
- 1/4 tsp iodized sea salt
- 1/4 cucumber, seeded and finely diced
- 1/4 small red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 small clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 to 3 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- fresh cracked pepper
- Bring water and salt just to a low boil in a small sauce pan on your smallest stove burner
- Stir in quinoa
- Return to a low boil, cover and reduce heat to a very low simmer
- Cook until all water is absorbed, 15-25 minutes depending on the stove
- Check to see if the water is absorbed by lifting the lid and tipping the pan sideways
- If you don’t see any water pool on the low side of the pan, the water has all been absorbed
- Remove from heat and allow to sit covered for another 15 minutes
- Quinoa should still be slightly firm when it is done, not mushy. When quinoa is cooked, you can see a ring around the outside of the quinoa kernel.
Combine cooked quinoa and remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir to combine. Chill and serve.