BALDWIN CITY, Kan. – A family is crediting a Baldwin City bus driver for saving their home from going up in flames. Tammy Ritter noticed something burning on the couple's front porch during her early morning route, so she jumped into action. She told FOX 4 she stopped the bus, dialed 911 and told the kids to sit tight.
"I was like you can't go what if there's somebody in that house, what if they die," Ritter said. "You have to go knock on the door at least and see if anybody's there."
Ritter said a dog house was burning on the front porch and the flames were growing bigger by the second. She told FOX 4 she threw the heavy box off the front porch into the yard and started stomping the fire out. When Ritter got back on the bus she noticed the home owner's dog followed her on.
"He was very scared and he was shaking, you know his little house just burnt down," she said.
The home owner, Lori Lederer said she is grateful the dog house fire didn't spread to the family's home. She said the dog house had a lightbulb inside and she thinks that's what caused it to go up in flames. The dog house was built by the owners to look exactly like their home. Lederer told FOX 4 they will build their dog, Chester, a new home.