Cell phone video shows final moments of confrontation between Bruno and Hubbard

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- (Editor's note: The video in this story is graphic, violent and profane. Viewer discretion is recommended.)

The Kansas City Police Department released the case file from its investigation into the shooting death of Anthony Bruno at the hands of off-duty police officer Don Hubbard. Cell phone video shot by a bystander was included in the case file, which shows the struggle between Bruno and Hubbard leading up to two shots being fired.

In the cell phone video Hubbard is seen initially in control over Bruno and asks for his hands, to which Bruno replies he can't give both without face-planting. Bruno then is put on his back and tells Hubbard he doesn't want to get hit.

After attempting to handcuff Bruno, the two become entangled and Bruno eventually gains control over Hubbard and hits him several times before gunshots were fired.

The case was presented before a grand jury, which determined that Hubbard will not face criminal charges from the incident. On February 14 a grand jury issued a "no-true bill," which means that the case is closed.

The incident that led to the confrontation between Bruno and Hubbard happened in a cab at the Marriott Muehlebach Hotel at 12th and Wyandotte. Bruno, his wife and another family member had taken a ride from Anthony's restaurant to the hotel, where there was a discussion about extending the cab fare for the other family member.

While discussing the fare, court documents state that the Brunos became upset when the cab driver continued to run the meter, words were exchanged and Bruno's wife claimed she was called a name and had money thrown in her face.

According to court documents, Anthony Bruno began to assault the cab driver before running from the scene. Hubbard caught up to him at 13th and Baltimore, where his attempts to subdue Bruno were unsuccessful and Bruno began to hit him repeatedly.

Hubbard said that he was in fear for his life and fired two shots into Bruno's chest. The deputy medical examiner determined that two gunshots to the chest were Bruno's official cause of death. Hubbard had to undergo facial surgery which required six weeks of recovery.

Data pix.



More News