3-year-old boy dies after being hit by vehicle near 11th and Grand in downtown KC

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — A 3-year-old boy who was hit by a utility truck in downtown Kansas City has died, officials say.

The horrifying moment happened right in front of the child’s dad, near 11th & Grand around 1:30 p.m. Wednesday. The child’s name hasn’t been released at this time.

A Spire gas company truck struck the child while driving down 11th Street, according to a witness. The child was standing on the sidewalk, holding his dad’s hand when the little boy darted into the road.

“I saw the kid laying down, pretty graphic and gruesome, and it didn’t look like he survived at all,” said John Garcellano who works nearby.

From the window of the Jimmy John’s sandwich shop, he saw the little boy and his dad walking down the street moments before the crash.

“He was right there. The father was on the sidewalk and had a hold of his kid, and he just — the kid just broke free and ran right in the middle of the street,” Garcellano said.

He also saw the Spire Gas utility truck coming over the hill.

“The truck actually was going pretty fast, pretty fast for downtown. He was trying to catch the light before it turned red,” Garcellano said.

He said his heart sank when he say the child lying in the street lifeless.

“I’m just praying for everybody at this point,” Garcellano said.

KCPD said the driver stayed put and waited for help.

“The driver cooperated with police. They’ve ruled out impairment as part of the investigation,” KCPD Sgt. Jake Becchina said.

Detectives will now comb over camera angles and witness accounts to figure out if anything else contributed to this deadly crash.

“It’s just really tough to see, really tough for the officers who work this, and obviously very tough loss for the family,” Becchina said.

“Definitely hug your child today,” Gracellano said.

Spire told FOX4 it’s aware of the incident and is working to gather more information. The gas company released the following statement:

“We are devastated at what happened today. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family. We are cooperating fully with the investigation of the Kansas City, Mo. Police Department.”

Tracking Coronavirus

More Tracking Coronavirus



More News