Child Sent to Hospital After House Explosion

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

PRAIRIE VILLAGE, Kan. -- An explosion at a Prairie Village home sent people rushing out outside on Sunday morning. Firefighters responded to the home near 66th & Roe for a gas explosion around 10:30 a.m.

FOX 4 was told a father and his young daughter were taken to the hospital for minor injuries. A woman who lives across the street from where the explosion happened says she was working in her yard when she heard an indescribable noise and saw gray smoke coming from the back of the house.

"The daughter was sitting outside she had a cut up here she also had a cut and she was scraped up," said neighbor Rhea Winslow. "The first thing the daughter said to me was 'our ceiling fell'. I could look in the house and see their was debris on the floor."

A Johnson County Fire Department investigator tells FOX 4 it appears the explosion stemmed from an outdoor fireplace. One neighbor says it was an indoor/outdoor unit.

Nancy Leo says after she called 911, she ran over to help.

"I just saw the homeowner and he was holding his head with a rag and he had blood and he was saying, 'I'm okay .Everyone was okay.'"

A fire investigator says the family that lives here will have to find another place to stay because of the damage to their home.

Tracking Coronavirus

More Tracking Coronavirus

Popular

Latest

More News