City Refuses to Pay for Repairs After Fire Truck Side-Swipes Van

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- A driver from Parkville, Mo., who was side-swiped by a Kansas City fire truck about a week after Thanksgiving wants the city to pay to have his van fixed but so far, the city has refused.

The accident happened at Independence Avenue and Park Streets on November 28th. Steven Wheeler said he was driving down Independence Avenue when he heard the sirens and pulled his van off to the side.

"I think they just turned it too sharp, hit the front end and we were completely parked," Wheeler explained.

The fire truck hit him anyways, clipping his front end.

The police diagram shows Wheeler's car parked to the side and then carried around the corner when the fire truck hit it.

The fire department would not discuss the accident or the driver of the fire truck from Station 23, but the city's legal investigator wrote a letter to Wheeler's insurance company. In it, the investigator claimed that Wheeler failed to yield to an emergency vehicle and because of that, they would not pay for the damage to Wheeler's vehicle, which amounts to more than $3,000.

FOX 4's Rob Low reviewed the police report. It says the firefighter told police that the 'intersection was clear before he made his turn.'

Wheeler says if he had failed to yield, the firefighter would have said so in the police report.

"If I failed to yield then I would have a citation. I have no citation," he said.

Fire Department sources told Rob Low that he would find Steven Miller was cited for the accident, but instead, police confirm Wheeler was not cited for causing the accident.

Wheeler's mini-van has been sitting in the parking lot of a body shop since the accident. The van is fixed but the shop won't release it to him until he pays a $1,000 deductible, which he doesn't have.

"We just saw the red lights and Boom! It hit us," Wheeler said.

FOX 4's Rob Low left phone messages and sent emails to the city investigator, but none was returned.



More News