This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

RICHMOND, Mo. — A Richmond, Mo. couple, accused of killing their three-week-old baby in 2012, is now charged with abuse and neglect of their other children and exposing them to dangers from snakes, lizards and alligators.

Dennis and Rebecca Matthews are now both in jail, while their three children, ages two to six years old, are in protective custody.

The first charge against them is for the death of their infant daughter in 2012.  The little girl had broken ribs and died from blunt force trauma to the chest.  Doctors determined the baby’s ribs had been broken before, and were in various stages of healing.

According to court documents, the parents denied abusing their little girl, and explained that she was having trouble breathing, and when they heard “clicking sounds” from her ribs, they say her father tried to pop them back into place on his own.

“We thought it was just a stillborn. Come to find out it wasn’t,” said Lisa Fields, a neighbor who lives across the street from where the Matthews lived in 2012.

The couple also faces seven other abuse and neglect and endangerment charges in Ray County for allegedly breaking the arm of one child, who was one-year-old at the time, and hitting their older child, who was five-years-old at the time, so hard that bruises were left on her back.

Prosecutors also contend the mother and father put their children in danger by not properly securing in cages the exotic animals they owned, including boa constrictors, pythons, kimono dragons, and an alligator.

“Well, I know they had a swimming pool in their garage and that was weird to have a swimming pool in your garage,” said Fields.

Dennis Matthews has been in jail since the original charges were filed in 2012 for the death of their infant daughter. Rebecca Matthews was taken into custody on new charges on Thursday.

Rebecca Matthews also faces charges of endangerment for allegedly leaving her children in a vehicle in July 2012, when the temperature was over 100 degrees.