Documents detail arrest of Liberty man accused of stabbing his mother to death


LIBERTY, Mo. — Court documents paint a violent scene that ended in the death of a Liberty woman late Friday night.

Austin Matthew Little, 20, of Liberty, is charged with second-degree murder for killing his mother, resisting arrest and other related crimes. He made his first appearance in a Clay County courtroom Monday afternoon.

Court documents show Little’s mother, Jill, was keeping a journal of notes and other information surrounding her son’s possible mental health issues and violent behavior. Officers found the journal in the master bedroom of the house Little shared with his parents.

That’s also where they found Jill’s body.

According to charging documents, investigators believe Austin stabbed his mother to death while his father was at work Friday night.

Families on Glendale Road in Liberty said it’s a quiet neighborhood where things like this don’t happen.  Angie Vasbinder has been in the area for 37 years.

“It’s a quiet neighborhood. The people are all friendly,” Vasbinder said. “COVID kind of put us down as far as visiting, but we very seldom have any excitement.”

But investigators said Friday night was different.

Court documents show Austin also tried to shoot his father in the head with a high-powered pellet rifle when he returned home.

Prosecutors say Austin, armed with the pellet gun and a hammer, chased after his father who ran across the street for help. When Austin’s father reached the neighbor’s house, he called police. That’s when Austin started walking away from the area.

Claycomo police caught up with him about three blocks away from the crime scene. According to court documents, he was covered in blood on the right side of his body when police found him.

Police said he resisted arrest, and they tased him. Officers said they tried to tase him again, and he started fighting them. Clay County sheriff’s deputies arrived and eventually took him into custody.

“There were about eight or nine police cars here,” said one neighbor who didn’t want to be identified. “It sounded like a fight.”

The neighbor said she woke up to Austin Little being taken down by police in her front yard.

“I had a lot of yelling and stuff that woke me up, and they had him down, but he was really fighting them,” she added.

Austin also had injuries when police took him into custody. Officers said he was not injured during the arrest, but haven’t said how he received the injuries.

He will be back in court on Nov. 30. A judge is awaiting the results of a mental health exam. If Austin is eventually convicted of second-degree murder, he faces 3-15 years in prison.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories


More News

Digital First

More digital first