Investigators to close portions of I-49 and search for clues after shots fired at family

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CASS COUNTY, Mo. — Investigators and deputies will temporarily close portions of I-49 on Tuesday around 3 p.m. as they continue their search for evidence in a shooting that occurred Monday morning.

The closure will affect the section of the highway near North Cass Parkway.

“It’s very serious. It’s very disconcerting,” that’s how Major Jeff Weber, with the Cass County Sheriff’s Office describes a family’s nightmare on Interstate 49 around 12:30 Labor Day morning.

Investigators say one minute a Metro area mom told detectives she, her husband and their two young children were traveling northbound in their car.

However, within moments, the frightened mother, who was driving, said someone in another vehicle first passed the family’s car, but then quickly pulled alongside them and fired multiple gunshots at the innocent family’s car.

The woman’s husband and two-year-old child, both on the passenger side, were both seriously injured.

Investigators says the devastated driver rushed her injured husband and child to the hospital.

“We have been unable to interview the husband who was struck at this time, ” adds Major Jefff Weber.

Meantime, after the “random, unprovoked attack, ” investigators say the shooter sped down the busy interstate in a dark-colored, very dirty car with bright lights.

“This was a random act. We just don’t have these kind of deals going on around here. That mom is very upset and distraught,” says Major Weber.

The mom and the couple’s second child weren’t hurt during the holiday horror investigators say happened so fast that neither the frantic mom or her husband got a good luck at the shooter.

“I just urge anyone who was driving between the Peculiar and Belton exits around 12:30 am and 1am Monday to please call the Cass County Sheriff’s Office at (816) 380-5200 if they saw anything that they think could help us find this person immediately, ” adds Major Jeff Weber.

As of late Tuesday morning, the injured father and his child were both still in the hospital in serious, but stable condition.

“We believe they had left a family event and were heading home when the shooting happened, ” added Major Weber.




More News