KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Dozens of employees who work in the American Century Towers at 4520 Main Street have been allowed back in the south tower building after an evacuation forced them into the damp chill Friday morning.
The evacuation was ordered after a worker in the underground garage was overcome by fumes from a chemical with which he was working.
The worker was using the chemical called Bromide, which is commonly used like chlorine in pools and hot tubs and is also used in refrigeration equipment.
According to Battalion Chief Lew Hendricks, Kansas City, Mo. Fire Department, the worker used too many bromide tablets, which reacted with water and created fumes. The worker was treated at the scene and then taken to the hospital.
The fire department's Hazardous Materials United ordered the evacuation as a precaution because the fumes could get into the buildings' ventilation system. ATA buses were brought in help with the massive evacuation and took employees to warmer locations until the building was cleared shortly before noon Friday.
No other injuries were reported.